Experience it, Live it, Change Your Life with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
The Junior Grapplers class focuses on all aspects of martial arts training both physical and mental, developing discipline, courtesy, self-control, confidence, character, concentration, teamwork, and focus. Athletically we work on building strength, flexibility, and coordination. The physical techniques of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are highly emphasized with this age group. The youth BJJ program is structured and therefore students will be learning a set curriculum put in place by the head instructor. In addition, this class is a bridge and transition into the adult program.
Gracie Woodbridge provides an environment that is positive, fun, and a "YOU CAN DO IT!" attitude. These programs will build your child’s confidence, ambition and an enthusiastic outlook for the future, increasing school performance and their important role in society.
What is Gracie/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a Martial art and grappling art developed by
the Gracie Family of Brazil. While it contains many stand-up throws,
and self-defense techniques that can finish a fight, it is most
famous for its extremely effective ground fighting techniques. This
Martial Art was developed to allow the smaller person to defeat the
larger person through the application of leverage and submission
holds such as joint locks and chokes. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is a versatile
Martial Art. Its varied applications include a realistic self-defense
system, a complete sport, a proven fighting style and a fun and healthy recreational activity. Because its versatility, it is quickly becoming one of the most popular Martial Arts in the world today.
At the Gracie Woodbridge Academy we follow all IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation) rules and belt systems and we are the only Academy in Vaughan who is an official Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy.
Did you know that Martial Arts is 10 times better than Team Sports in developing a child's self esteem and confidence?
The Gracie Woodbridge Academy’s programs can and WILL help your child increase their confidence, self- esteem, discipline, While teaching them life skills that will last them a lifetime and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Kids Program
Why should my child study the martial arts?
It's generally accepted that children should be exposed to as many diverse activities as possible to broaden their horizons, help stretch their interests and hone their skills. With the many activities available to today's children, why is martial arts training so important? Actually, there are many reasons.
Consider these :
1. Many activities are either seasonal or short lived in nature. They don't give the child the benefit of a long term continuous learning and growing experience.
2. Most sports endeavours deal strictly in physical activities and add very little to mental and personal development.
3. Many activities are team oriented and while teamwork is certainly important, it doesn't allow for individualized training, systematic personal growth and differences in ability.
4. Competition in many activities can be so fierce that if a child doesn't perform as well as another team-mate he/she feels like a loser (which is horrible for self esteem).
5. Many public school or town run activities are sometimes unfair because the reason a child:
a) Makes the team
b) gets to play a certain position,
c) makes the first squad, etc., is because they (or their parents) are friends with the coach or their children. This can be very frustrating to the child and parents as well.
6. Martial arts training, while usually done in groups, allows a child to work, develop, improve and grow at their own pace.
7. Many martial arts programs are extremely motivational in nature. This encourages a child to stay involved for long periods of time, enabling them to reap the benefits of self-accomplishment.
8. Most martial arts programs use a belt ranking system. If broken down properly, it enables a child to have a series of winning experiences that many doctors and educators agree is essential to improve self esteem and self image.
9. Martial arts develop and improve concentration that can have a major impact on school grades.
10. Martial arts programs emphasize and teach self-discipline which many educators and national leaders believe to be a serious missing element in today's youth.
11. Martial arts teach hand-eye co-ordination, motor development skills and improve overall co-ordination that helps a child in all other physical activities.
12. Martial arts programs teach self-respect and respect for others.
13. Good martial arts programs teach goal setting which becomes a practice for life.
How can the Martial Arts help my child succeed in school?
Martial arts instruction has long been recognized for its ability to turn average or sub par academic students into honor students achieving A's and B 's. Parents know that better grades in school can strongly influence a child 's overall success in life, and feedback from parents across the country indicates that there are an extraordinary number of cases where children involved with martial arts training are improving academically, sometimes dramatically.
Tel. 905- 265-0950 Email. firstname.lastname@example.org